Learn more about the Mannahatta Project
- Mannahatta: A Natural History of New York City, a book published by Abrams, May 2009.
- Access Mannahatta data at OASIS, the New York City Open Accessible Space Information System Cooperative.
- Mannahatta / Manhattan: A Natural History of New York City, an exhibition at the Museum of the City of New York, May 20 – October 12, 2009. Now looking for a temporary home. Email firstname.lastname@example.org with any ideas.
- After the Storms, an Island of Calm — and Resilience, 11 September 2009. Op-ed contribution by Eric Sanderson to the New York Times. Response in Columbia Journalism Review on 12 September 2009.
- Lecture on science of Muir webs presented at the Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, Earth Institute, Columbia University on September 18, 2009 by Dr. Eric Sanderson.
- Video about Lenape foodways on Mannahatta, produced and directed by Fritz Haeg, 2009.
What others are saying…News and features
- 2009 Year of Mannahatta Project, Treehugger.com, 31 December 2009.
- From New Amsterdam to Alicia Keys: NYC History in 2009, The Bowery Boys, 30 December 2009
- Fishing in New York City, Forbes.com, 23 November 2009.
- Where the Wild Things Were, Edible Manhattan, November/December 2009.
- Mannahatta Project reveals New York of 1609, Telegraph (UK), 17 October 2009.
- When Manhattan was wild: How did your ‘hood look 400 years ago? Daily News, 2 October 2009.
- The Mannahatta Project, Vermont Public Radio, 30 September 2009.
- Manhattan Anniversary, Canadian Broadcasting Corporation‘s “As It Happens” radio program, 14 September 2009. Listen about 60% of the way through Part 2. Reprised on 31 December 2009.
- Manhattan – Vom wilden Urwald zum Finanzviertel, Die Welt (Germany), 10 September 2009.
- So hat man New York noch nie gesehen, Tages Anzeiger (Switzerland), 10 September 2009.
- Manhattan: La Isla del centro del mundo, El Pais (Spain), 10 September 2009.
- 400 Years of Manhattan. New York Post, 7 September 2009.
- Before New York. National Geographic, September 2009. See also nationalgeographic.com.
- Mapping Mannahatta, The Original Manhattan. L Magazine, 22 July 2009.
- The Eden that grew the Big Apple, Toronto Globe & Mail, 12 June 2009.
- The Wild of Manhattan, The Daily Green, 12 June 2009.
- MANHATTAN 1609 vs. 2009: Natural Wonder to Urban Jungle, National Geographic News, 23 April 2009.
- The Island That Time Forgot, New York Magazine, 12 April 2009.
- Browsings: Mannahatta: A Natural History of New York City, Science, 27 March 2009.
- Mannahatta, Past, Present and Future, New York Times (podcast), 22 January 2009.
- W poszukiwaniu Mannahatty, Polish Daily News, 3 December 2007.
- The Mannahatta Project, The New Yorker, 1 October 2007. Profile by Nick Paumgarten. Slide show.
- I’ll Take Mannahatta, New York Times, 16 May 2004.
Book reviews and excerpts from “Mannahatta: A Natural History of New York City”
- A Conversation with a History of Place, Englewood Review of Books, 23 December 2009.
- Obsessions Small and Mega: Best Books of 2009, New York Magazine, 20 December 2009.
- The 100 Best Books of 2009, San Francisco Chronicle, 18 December 2009.
- The Books Authors Want for Christmas, Seattle Times, 13 December 2009.
- Best Books of 2009 – Editor’s Picks, Barnes & Noble Review, 4 December 2009.
- Best Science Books of the Year, Seed Magazine, 1 December 2009.
- Top 10 Books in Urban Planning, Design and Development, Planetizen, 23 November 2009.
- Manhattan dobbelteksponert, Morgenbladet (Norway), 20-26 November 2009.
- Best Books of 2009, Amazon.com, 27 October 2009.
- Mannahatta, Mother Nature Network, 21 October 2009.
- Book review: Mannahatta by Eric W. Sanderson, Transition Culture, 6 October 2009.
- Mannahatta: A Natural History of New York City, re:place magazine, 15 September 2009.
- Hudson is not my hero, The Indypendent, 13 September 2009.
- Manhattan before Macey’s. Times Literary Supplement, 4 September 2009.
- Travelogue review: Mannahatta: A Natural History of New York City. Time Out London, 3 September 2009.
- Before the Urban Jungle, up!, September 2009.
- Tilbake til Mannahatta. Aftenpoften (Norway), 23 August 2009.
- Spatial History and the Mannahatta Project, WorldChanging, 11 August 2009.
- From Treeline to Skyline: The Mannahatta Project – A Natural History of New York City. New York State Conservationist, August 2009.
- Mannahatta: A Natural History of New York City, History Today, July 2009.
- Up and coming, from the TLS Science Desk, Times Literary Supplement, 23 June 2009.
- New Haven in the 21st Century…?, New Haven Review, 12 June 2009.
- The Eternal City, BookForum, June/July/August 2009.
- Paradise Found, American History, June 2009
- Web Pick of the Week, Publisher’s Weekly, 1 June 2009.
- Spotlight: Mannahatta, OneEarth, 28 May 2009.
- Walking into history, The Times (London), 23 May 2009.
- Island in the Stream, New York Times Book Review, 22 May 2009.
- Mannahatta Project Recreates What New York City Looked Like 400 Years Ago, Hartford Courant, 17 May 2009.
- Mannahatta: A Natural History of New York City, San Francisco Chronicle, 17 May 2009.
- Scientific American reviews: Manhattan, circa 1609, Scientific American, May 2009.
- You don’t have to be a New Yorker…, Library Journal, 11 May 2009.
- The Island That Time Forgot, New York Magazine, 12 April 2009.
Exhibition reviews (“Mannahatta / Manhattan: A Natural History of New York City” at Museum of the City of New York through 12 October 2009)
- Early Manhattan: Reflections on Art and Science. The Julliard Journal Online, September 2009.
- Cuando Manhattan era verde. El Mundo (Spain), 29 July 2009.
- With Virgin Eyes, The Architect’s Newspaper, 8 July 2009.
- Manhattan: An Island Always Diverse. New York Times, 4 July 2009.
- Exhibition description from its designer, Abbott Miller of Pentagram.
Radio and video interviews
- Brian Lehrer Live, CUNY-75 television, 11 November 2009.
- City of Parks, WNET-13 PBS television. 27 September 2009. Produced by Reel Works.
- Dutch New York, WNET-13 PBS television. 10 September 2009. Documentary about Dutch history of New York includes a segment on Mannahatta. Additional on-line materials can be found here.
- Discover Manhattan’s Pre-Colonial History. WCBS 880 Radio. 10 September 2009.
- Eric Sanderson pictures New York before the city, TEDGlobal, 29 July 2009.
- Rediscovering Henry Hudson, CBS Sunday Morning, 5 July 2009.
- Eric Sanderson on Manhattan in 1609, 2009, and … 2409. 2 July 2009. Social Science Research Council.
- Island in the Stream. 22 May 2009. New York Times podcast. Discussion of book by reviewer Robert Sullivan and Times reporter Sam Roberts.
- Mannahatta. WNYC Leonard Lopate Show, National Public Radio. 19 May 2009.
- Mannahatta on NY1 television interview, 16 May 2009.
- Mannahatta, WFUV’s Cityscape radio interview (podcast), 9 May 2009.
- When New York City Was a Forest, ABC News World Now (video), 16 April 2009.
- Super City New York, History Channel, 22 September 2008.
- Eric Sanderson in conversation, National Geographic Weekend (podcast), 19 January 2008.
- Earth without People, Science Central (video), 13 May 2005.
- Sermon at New Hope Church, Calgary, Canada, 29 October 2009.
Art related to the Mannahatta Project
- Artist Heidi Neilson’s Urban Forest of 14th Street project, as part of the Art in Odd Places Festival, October 2009. See photos!
- The Quintet of the Americas has commissioned a “naturemusic piece” by the composer Christopher Kaufman, inspired by the Mannahatta Project and tentatively entitled “Hudson Valley Quintet,” to be premiered in 2010.
- Mannahatta inspired cake by the Dan Dan Baking Company, cut by Manhattan Borough President Scott Stinger on September 12, 2009.
- Artist Fritz Haeg’s Lenape Edible Estate: Manhattan at the Eliott-Chelsea Houses, NYC.
- Artist Ayumi Horie’s and Andy Brayman’s Ceramic exhibition “Who Lives in Greenwich Village?” at Greenwich House Pottery in NYC. See photos of ceramic pieces.
- The TREE Museum by artist Katie Holten. Listen to American Elm #9 by calling 718-408-2502 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 718-408-2502 end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 718-408-2502 end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 718-408-2502 end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 718-408-2502 end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 718-408-2502 end_of_the_skype_highlighting begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 718-408-2502 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.
- Alex Hagen plays a “Mannahatta jazz guitar” created by Daniel Slaman.
- 350,000 Dutch Mannahatta/Manhattan 5 Euro coins in circulation. Design by Ronald van Tienhoven.
- Book design and exhibition by Pentagram’s Abbott Miller.
- Cover of CD of Songs For the Forgotten Future, Volume 2 by Pinataland.
- Harmattan Theater Mannahatta-linked performance Fall 2009.
- Mannahatta Garden at New York University (NYU). Coverage in the New York Times and elsewhere.
- Check out Mannahatta: The Game, in development! A collaboration between the Social Science Research Council, Parsons – New School of Design, and the Wildlife Conservation Society, funded as part of the New York City Digital Learning Network by the MacArthur Foundation.
Restoration and Nature Conservation in New York City
- City of New York Department of Parks and Recreation, Natural Resources Group.
- Bronx River Restoration on YouTube.
- Mannahatta-themed woodland garden at New York University.
- Governors Island Park Planning – see Governors Island blog.
- Bronx River Alliance‘s plans to restore the Bronx River
- Hudson River Estuary Program
- New York State Department of State Office of Coastal, Local Government & Community Sustainability
- NYC Wildflower Week
- Center for Environmental Research and Conservation, Earth Institute, Columbia University
- Ruth Rea Howell Family Garden at New York Botanical Garden. Read about wigwam.
- Bronx River Crossing on Facebook.
- Teacher Development Program at Central Park Zoo. Sign up here.
- Bronx River Alliance’s Educators Guide
- Museum of the City of New York education. Download exercises here.
- The Lionel Pincus and Princess Firyal Map Division at the New York Public Library
- William L. Clements Library at the University of Michigan
- Map Collections in American Memory at the Library of Congress
- The National Archives, United Kingdon
- Manuscript maps at the British Library
- Henry Hudson 400
- David Rumsey Map Collection
Ecological Communities and Habitat Ecology
- Animal Diversity Web, habitat and conservation information about wildlife species from the University of Michigan.
- Fishbase, habitat and conservation information about fish species.
- All About Birds, habitat and conservation information about bird species from The Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
- Plants Database, habitat and conservation information about plant species from the Natural Resources Conservation Service of the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
- Ecological Communities of New York State from the Natural Heritage Program of the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation.
Green Architecture & Urban Planning in New York City
- Van Alen Institute
- Urban Green Council
- Municipal Arts Society of New York
- PlaNYC, Office of the Mayor of the City of New York
Please send us your links to Mannahatta! Contact us here.